The Irish Mountain Running Association (IMRA) is the governing body of the sport of Mountain Running in Ireland. IMRA is affiliated through the Athletic Association of Ireland (AAI) to the World Mountain Running Association (WMRA) for the purposes of competing in International Events.
The Northern Ireland Mountain Runners' Association organises a full and varied programme of events centred on the Mountain Running Championship and Junior series in Northern Ireland.
Sport Northern Ireland’s Corporate Vision is: “Through sport, to contribute to an
inclusive, creative, competent, informed and physically active community”.
The Fell Runners Association was formed in 1970 to cater for the needs of fell runners throughout the the country. Theorganisation has about 4500 individual members. Nearly 300 athletic clubs are involved with fell running through their regional athletic associations.
The objectives of WMRA are:
- To stage championships at World and IAAF area levels.
- To promote the sport of mountain running world-wide.
- To operate within the framework of IAAF and in accordance with its rules.
- To encourage formal relationships between mountain runners and their IAAF affiliated athletic federations.
- To foster international friendship, understanding and co-operation through the sport of mountain running.